Thursday, April 19, 2012

Slurp your dinner in River North

Slurping Turtle opened at the perfect time of year in Chicago--late November. What makes Chicagoans want to eat hot, salty noodles more than blistery winds and freezing temperatures? With perfect timing and the reputations of its predecessors Takashi in Bucktown and Noodles by Takashi Yagihashi at Seven on State paving the way, Slurping Turtle has been mobbed since it opened.

I finally had a chance to go on Tuesday night with my friend Tamara. At 7:30 p.m. we were seated right away at a booth. Tamara ordered a sake, while I opted for a glass of Vouvray. The menu offers an impressive selection of items from the bincho grill and sashimi, dumplings and other hot tapas, but Tamara and I went straight to the noodles.

Tamara's Shoyu Ramen was predictably delicious, but I was more impressed with the broth in my Slurping Noodles. My dish contained a healthy dose of cilantro, which I will never protest.

Red Bean Macaroon at Slurping Turtle
We concluded our meal with a couple of macaroons. While Slurping Turtles' macaroons may be inspired by the traditional French cookies, the cookie portion is much heavier and the fillings much more unique. Tamara's was filled with traditional red bean paste, while mine contained a delicious caramel soy concoction. 

Caramel Soy Macaroon
Slurping Turtle does not take reservations, so I recommend going at an off time, like a weeknight or an early lunch or dinner on a weekend. Bear in mind that it closes from 3 to 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday and doesn't open until 5 p.m. on Sundays. 

No comments:

Post a Comment