Thursday, June 7, 2012

The End of an American Cafe

A few weeks ago, we went to brunch at Erwin for the first time. Erwin has been in Lakeview for years, 18 to be exact. It's a staple in neighborhood and a highly-regarded cafe serving simple but good, quality food. Perhaps this is why I was surprised to read on Eater Chicago that the cafe is closing.

Our brunch wasn't fancy. I had a salmon scramble, Z had a salmon omelette and Adi, Z's friend, had a salmon benedict. (You can guess our word of the day.) But it was good. Erwin seems like the kind of restaurant that isn't trying to chase the latest trend, but rather focuses on consistency and quality. Unfortunately, you won't have much longer to try the food. Erwin closes Sunday, July 1st.

2 comments:

  1. I was a little surprised by this too, but I didn't find Erwin all that great. The food was fine, but something about it just never did it for me.

    George Street Pub is pretty good for brunch in the area now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the recommendation! I'll have to check it out soon.

    ReplyDelete