Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Frog n Snail in Lakeview

When Sura Thai Bistro closed in mid-2011, I felt a void in my Lakeview dining options. Z and I ordered from Sura Thai often and thought it was one of the better Thai spots in the Lakeview area, despite its healthy dose of sushi on the menu. So when I heard that Dale Levitski was taking over the Sura Thai space to open a new hot spot, I had high expectations.

My friend Jenny and I stopped by Frog n Snail for a Tuesday night dinner in late May. We arrived a few minutes before 8 p.m. and waited about five minutes for a table. (Frog n Snail does not take reservations at this time.)

Our waiter was patient as we caught up, took our time with the menu and asked questions about various dishes. Frog 'n Snail has a full bar and select beers and wines. For a beverage, we both decided on a the Great Lakes "Burning River" Pale Ale draft, which was nice and light for a warmer evening but lacked flavor.

For dinner, we shared a few smaller plates. I loved the flavor in the Truffle Chiffon, but Jenny and I both agreed it could use some toasted bread. The Sweet Pea Risotto was predictable and bland. The Slow Roasted Torn Salmon with creme fraiche, egg, fingerling potato, beets and fennel was a surprisingly delicious blend of flavors. We gambled on the Mushroom and Peach Buckwheat Herbed Crepes and won! They were delicious. Given my new-found crepe-making expertise, I'd like to try them at home.


We waited more than 30 minutes between our first and second courses. Not unusual for a new restaurant, but another reason that I'll give Frog 'n Snail a couple of months before I try it again. While Frog 'n Snail may occupy Sura Thai's space, my taste buds are holding out for more. After a few months of working out service kinks and making updates to the menu, I have high hopes Frog 'n Snail won't disappoint my taste buds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment