Friday, December 16, 2011

Caffeine buzz



My sister visited me a couple of weekends ago. She lives on the East Coast and usually travels with a husband and a two-year-old. But on this particular weekend, I had her company to myself.

We packed in a week's worth of activities into just a couple of days, including dinner at Friend's Sushi in the Gold Coast, a visit to Saigon Sisters in the French Market (yeah, I might be an addict...), a Second City show, dinner at Chilam Balam, yoga at Exhale, brunch at Meli in River North and a visit to the Christmas tree at Macy's.


To fit all of this in and to stay awake for the late show at Second City, we started the weekend with a strong caffeine buzz at the Roasting Works Tour at Intelligentsia Coffee. The tour covers the history of coffee, coffee-growing regions, the smells associated with coffee and concludes with a take-home gift--a 1/2 pound bag of freshly-roasted Intelligentsia Coffee!!

I've taken the tour once before, about a year ago. My only complaint with the tour I took with my sister is that the guide turned the roasting machinery on while he was talking. Despite his headset, we found it difficult to hear.

This tour is offered twice on the first Saturday of every month. It books up several weeks in advance, so be sure to reserve your tickets as soon as you know you can go.


No comments:

Post a Comment