Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Magnificent Maude's


Tenderloin steak tartare and chicken liver mousse at Maude's
A few weekends ago, we had some celebrating to do. My sister Betsy and her fiance Mike were in town to celebrate their engagement and spend some time in the big city. We took a (calculated) risk and took them to, Maude's Liquor Bar.  

The happy couple at Maude's

A week in advance, the earliest reservation for four on a Friday night was 9:30 p.m. Now I understand why. 

Walking into Maude's, I felt like I had stepped into a quaint roadside bar in Europe. The interior, down to the soap and towels in the restrooms, is tastefully done and appropriately French. Maude's food is refreshingly pure and simple, yet rich and flavorful. We started out with a platter of oysters, carefully comparing East Coast and West Coast. We ended up with a two-two split on the winner. 

Z and me and the oysters

Then came our small plates. The tenderloin steak tartare was one of the best preparations of tartare I've tasted in Chicago. The chicken liver mousse had a lovely flavor, not too pungent and appropriately creamy. I've been on a foie gras kick recently and I found the foie gras pate a bit plain, but that's only in relation to the other fabulous dishes on the menu. I could have skipped the Traditional Cassoulet, too. I felt guilty eating all of that meat without some veggies, so we ordered the Brussels Sprouts. They were good, but the 'sprouts at The Gage still have my heart. Smothered with brie and bacon, they're the best I've found in the city. 

Although Maude's full name is "Maude's Liquor Bar", go to Maude's for the food. The drinks are good, but they pale in comparison to the food.

2 comments:

  1. Roasted bone marrow! Great bar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great recommendation! I would love to try that next time.

      Delete