Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Brunch at Eggy's

Eggy's Diner is difficult to find. Looking at a map probably won't help. To make sure you don't spend a minimum of 15 minutes wandering around Lakeshore East until you find it, either go with someone who's been there before or someone who knows the neighborhood very well.

Once you do find Eggy's, which is in the same complex as Maison Brasserie and Mariano's Fresh Market, you'll enter a restaurant with a defined urban edge--open concept, high ceilings, lots of metal and wood. It's a cool, retro-ish space. I felt hip sitting there, drinking my coffee and eating my eggs with a few friends before we walked over to the AMC Theater on Illinois to watch "Dark Night".

I had high expectations for the food. The menu features dishes prepared by former Custom House chef de cuisine Zach Millican and pastry chef Erin Moony. And while the special of the day, the chilaquiles,  was very flavorful and deliciously prepared, the other dishes my friends and I ordered didn't meet the mark. The two omelets at the table were a rubbery. The breakfast sandwich was tasty, but small.

Eggy's is still finding its space in the Chicago brunch scene. Our server told us they were trying out specials to see what stuck and would add them to the menu as they found things patrons liked. I'll give Eggy's a few months before I go back for round two and try the Peter and the Wolf (pastrami hash topped with two fried eggs and horseradish cream) or a delectable addition to the menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment