Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Gemini Bistro Redux

A few months ago, I raved about Gemini Bistro. When we went in February, we loved it. Perhaps it was the leisurely dinner over a holiday weekend. Or that we were with fun friends. My bet is on the cocktails and delicious foie gras dish we ate as an appetizer.

When Z and I returned to Gemini Bistro a few weeks ago, using a DailyCandy Deal I had recently purchased, I had high expectations. And you know what they say about high expectations...

We started with a glass of wine and a couple of salads--Yia's Yia's Salad and the Red & Golden Beet Salad.  I'm a sucker for beets. And beets with truffle vinaigrette--YUM! The first course was a success.

Next came the Mussels a la Biere and the Blackened Whitefish. Neither was bad, but both lacked flavor. Mussels have become so popular in Chicago recently. It seems like every restaurant I go to has at least one preparation of mussels on the menu. In order to stand out in a city full of mussels, they must be amazing. Gemini's didn't meet the mark.

We left Gemini disappointed. We thought we had found our go-to neighborhood bistro spot. We'll have to keep looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment