Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Barrelhouse Flat on a Friday night

(Photo courtesy chicagonow.com)
Z finally took me to The Barrelhouse Flat. I've been asking to go since it first took over the former Deja Vu space in Lincoln Park in October 2011. (Z went with friends about a month ago, but by the time I could meet up with them, they had moved on to a fratastic bar down the street.)

On a Friday night, Barrelhouse was as busy as I would expect. This place has been covered by every major Chicago publication at least once. And it's hype is well-deserved. From the decor to the glasses to the drinks themselves, the experience is period-appropriate and classy.

After hovering for a few minutes without reservations or plans to eat, we were able to find two seats at the bar. The interior is appropriately minimal. It looks like how I would picture a saloon from just before or after Prohibition--an upright piano, appropriately dimmed lights and at least one bartender in a flapperish-style outfit.

I ordered the Mamie Taylor, a delicious concoction of whiskey, lime, simple syrup and ginger beer. Z ordered the Sazerac, a rye whiskey drink. Next time I hope to check out the Queen's Park Swizzle or the Airmail. Maybe some food, too. Until the deviled egg trend started, I didn't realize I was such a sucker! Looks like Barrelhouse has a special variety of double deviled eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment