Thursday, February 2, 2012

Night at the Museum

One of my favorite things to do after work on a Thursday evening, which I have to admit I've done only a handful of times, is to grab a couple of friends and visit the Art Institute of Chicago. Most days the museum closes at 5 p.m., but on Thursdays it's open until 8 p.m. (Be sure to check the website before you visit; the hours change from time-to-time.)

Today I had the privilege of not only visiting the Art Institute but also tagging along on a fabulous tour. In keeping with the upcoming "holiday", or Hallmark marketing ploy, depending on your perspective, the theme of the tour was "Love in Paris". Our tour guide, Paula, was very knowledgeable and featured a variety of paintings and even one sculpture, all in keeping with the love theme.

Full disclosure: I'm a board member of the affiliate group that organized this tour, so I'm a bit biased. Regardless, I had a great time on the tour and I think events like this provide a tremendous opportunity to learn more about art and the context in which artists worked. The next tour is coming in March. Check the website for more info.

No comments:

Post a Comment