Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Where to eat before a show

My aunt will be in town this weekend with a group of her girlfriends from college. In advance of her visit, she presented me with a challenge: "We're seeing South Pacific at the Cadillac Palace Theater on Sunday night. What are some affordable restaurants near the theater?"

My obvious choice, Encore Liquid Lounge, is closed on Sundays. I love Encore for lunch. It's great for birthdays, a coworker's departure or any other occasion when the typical Corner Bakery fare just won't do.

I've done the legwork on the remaining recommendations; as of this post, they're all open on Sunday evenings.

Also in Hotel Allegro is 312 Chicago, a delicious Italian restaurant. It has a more formal atmosphere than Encore, but during Restaurant Week, you can enjoy a three-course lunch for $22 or dinner for $33.

Not far away at the Burnham Hotel, another Kimpton Hotel, is the Atwood Cafe. It has a formal, but warm atmosphere in a classic old hotel. It's also lovely for breakfast.

A little farther away in River North, you can find Bin 36. I included it because it's not that far away, and I always enjoy the food. The swordfish is my favorite.

Also in River North is La Madia.  This pizzeria is more casual than my other theater-zone dining recommendations. Read: a lower price point and also a good option for families with younger kids. The pepperoni pizza with white truffle oil! is remarkable. But when is truffle oil not delicious?

To avoid a wait, reserve a table at any of these restaurants on OpenTable.

No comments:

Post a Comment