Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Closing Time

 Just Grapes retail store

Two of my favorite brick-and-mortar retail businesses have closed over the past few weeks. Just Grapes, a lovely, personable wine shop in the West Loop moved out of its space around the end of January. I loved going into the store to check out new wines and sample a few at the tasting bar. According to an email I got from the owner, the company had difficulty negotiating its lease. The company will continue to sell wine on its website.

This past weekend I learned my favorite coffee shop had closed. Signs on the door over the past few weeks said the store had been struggling with plumbing problems. Still, I was optimistic that doors would reopen once the pipes were up and running. Noble Tree had delicious cappuccinos and some pretty tasty-looking baked goods.  Not to mention a comfortable, old-school coffee shop ambiance and friendly baristas behind the counter. I learned to recognize a cappuccino by the barista who made it.

Although I will miss Noble Tree, I was happy to learn that the Noble Tree crew has plans in the works for a new coffee roasting and education company, Bow & Truss and free-standing cafes, P.O.C. For more information about the new venture, click here. Sounds like a really cool concept. And I know of quite a few neighborhoods in the city that are deprived of quality coffee!

No comments:

Post a Comment